Sunday, February 9, 2014

Week's End

Update to week 6 of training, made 16 miles with 10 at marathon pace. I knew this was going to be a tough workout, and when I was fatigued from the first easy 5 I was worried this might be one of those other days. The not-so-good-day-to run days.

It was tough, but I pushed through the heavy legs and took a couple of short breaks to recharge the batteries. It was definitely a struggle, and when I got to my furthest point out I took a break to make a prosthetic adjustment.

As I was leaning against the guardrail of a small bridge over a tidal marsh, a woman pulls into her drive but stops short, rolls down the window and asks if I am okay. "Yes, just taking a short break," I say. "I thought so, just wanted to make sure." "Thank you for asking!"

I did appreciate the concern from a complete stranger. It was heartfelt and sincere. In a world where usually the sensational creates news, here was a moment where a simple gesture, lasting no more than a few seconds, made a difference. Sensational? No. A few words, some concern for a fellow human being, and I was off running.

On pace.

Finishing strong.


No comments:

Post a Comment