Tuesday, January 29, 2013


Our grandson Henry, an accomplished child, loves to say "Henry did it!" when completing a monumental task like pulling his shirt off or helping his mom organize the pots and pans onto the kitchen floor. When I came through the front door last Sunday "Henry did it!" were the words I found best described my 18.5 mile long run.

First I did 3.5 miles on the treadmill. This gives me time to make sure I can make socket adjustments before heading outside. Depending on what I am watching on TV, sometimes I go a little longer. I much prefer getting my longer runs and speedwork done outside, where I have a better sense of my real effort as opposed to a moving belt under my feet, uh, foot.

I did feel the faint hint that my residual was not entirely happy, so I stopped twice to adjust my prosthetic socks. Finally I hit on a fit that my leg found acceptable, so I finished my indoor run then headed out for another 6 closer to home.

Once again I knew I was going to make the distance even if it would be slow. Fatigue was not weighing me down as I donned my Camelbak for the next 9. I was feeling quite strong but allowed to the thought to enter my mind...yeah, you can be sailing along in a marathon and then BOOM the wheels fall off and you are left dazed and confused in the ditch.

I didn't fall in a ditch, but I was a little dazed around 12.5 miles when I stopped, grabbed my knees, and studied the macadam at length. As I stood up and prepared to go again, I noticed an SUV with "13.1" and "26.2" stickers on the back window had rolled to a stop. I couldn't quite hear what she was saying, but knew as a fellow running she was making sure there would be no memorial where I stood today.

This simple kindness made me smile, cleared my head, and off I went. I would still take a couple of breaks in the later miles, this being my longest run since December 9, but I finished strong and not nearly as bone-tired fatigued as the past few weeks. My residual did not revolt and the swelling wasn't crutch-worthy either. My knee wasn't terribly happy with the extra pressure from the many socks I was wearing; given the ill-fitting socket this is the best I can do with what I have.


Today being Tuesday, January 29, I still do not know the outcome of my appeal with BC/BS. When I see other amputees getting legs for skiing, or swimming, or rock climbing, or weight lifting without problems it is hard to understand why I was denied. I only hope it was an oversight that will be corrected without having to take other time consuming measures. This should be something good for all concerned; indeed, I believe I will be the first amputee from my state to run Boston.

We are very excited making plans for the weekend before the race, meeting new people, and oh yeah, RUNNING THE BOSTON MARATHON!!! This is a lower mileage week for me before I hit another 3 weeks hard which should include two 20 mile efforts if my prosthesis will allow it to happen.

Eight weeks of training, 2 weeks of taper, and then the amazing, this miracle will happen. I cannot grow tired of saying it: what a day it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment