Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Time for...

Those are my wet footprints, note smaller right tread from Jato
Eli Lapp: 4:30. Time for milking.

Richard Blalock: 4:00. Time for running.

Since my SUV is in the shop with a destroyed transmission locked up all 4 wheels at 50 mph, a joyride I could have done without, I have another company car to drive home until mine is fixed. The pedal in this loaner SUV is too small for my size 13 paw, so I have to lay my leg across the console and drive with my left foot. Yes, I am a man of many talents.

What all this means is I have to be at work at 8 a.m. in case an employee needs to use this vehicle. My Daniels marathon plan usually calls for one weekday hard workout that is also long in duration; today I was scheduled to run 10 miles with 8 x 1320 at threshold (T) pace. Daniels calls for the T pace runs to be a certain time duration, but since I am old school I convert this to the distance I can roughly cover in the equivalent amount of time.

Given I had to be at work at 8, I calculated I would need to wake up at 4 a.m. to get the livestock fed, then do my treadmill warm-up before heading the track. And I did.

It was a little chilly, but I knew after a short period of (allegedly) faster running my core temperature would rise and I'd be comfortable. With only the security lighting on, parts of the track are very dark but as long as you keep making left turns after the straightaways you'll not get lost.

Without a moon, the sky was dark but clear; the stars brilliant and intense. I thought...Orion and Venus are my training partners, but I guess the Old Man decided to sleep in. I felt great and my reps clicked off on the a track wet with a recently run irrigation system. As dawn appeared, I noticed my footsteps between wet patches on the track; I thought it looked like footbridges between them. Yeah, this is the stuff I think about when I'm not thinking about my breathing or the effort I am engaged in.

I really do like training by myself, in the quiet with my own thoughts. No distractions, no excuses, none needed. No dependency on others to pull me along, no pressure to keep up. The holiness of the oval church, the reverence of the singular congregation, is enough for one.

The choir overhead sings eternal: holy, holy, holy.

And I run...and get to work only 5 minutes late. In the words the great Greek philosopher, 'nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment