Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cooper River Bridge Run - Mobility Impaired Team is Official!

February 8, 2011 Update: The Mobility Impaired Team is NOT the same as a separate division as the one wheelchair athletes enjoy. Any group can have a team, but disabled athletes, unless they are in wheelchairs, do not have a division. I had hoped a division would be established but this has not occurred and I really do not understand why.

 *******

This morning I learned that the Cooper River Bridge Run has established an official team for all Mobility Impaired athletes! This is similar to a separate division in that it is a CRBR specific team, which is accessed after you sign the disclaimer form when you register:


This is great news and I hope all my gimp friends will try to take advantage of this terrific opportunity to shine a light on your amazing achievements. Floyd Brace and my CP Larry Wiley were instrumental in helping establish this event for 2011, having met with the race director Julian Smith and myself to discuss the division/team.

  Photo: Cooper River Bridge Run (2008)

Please come and enjoy one of America's most beautiful cities, fabulous restaurants, and a superb race! Thanks to the Cooper River Bridge Run for being the latest addition in helping mobility impaired athletes join in a celebration of life and fitness.

1 comment:

  1. Richard,
    This is a TREMENDOUS achievement and advancement. I am so happy to hear that you were able to establish this division for the Bridge Run. What an incredible accomplishment-- such a great sense of humor and shout out to your "gimp friends" who on any given day can probably run miles around me..... Just like you have!;) Congratulations on yet another remarkable achievement.
    Madeleine

    ReplyDelete