Thursday, February 17, 2022

Running to Tomorrow

3D Printed Inner Socket

We are on our third prototype socket as seen above. The main difference is it is completely skinned,  that is you don't see the lattice structure of the previous two designs.

Those designs were initially in response to a problem I was having with distal fib swelling. This was caused by a single surgical screw what was employed to hold my Ertl type leg reconstruction together while the bones fused to each other.


X-ray showing exposed screw

Over time the screw caused irritation and sharp pain and induced swelling as the leg remodeled itself. This most likely caused the eventual blisters that were the bane of my running for years and made any distance running impossible without severe consequences.


I had the surgical screw issue finally identified by Dr. Ohlson and it was removed on December 15, 2020 in an out-patient procedure that was fairly quick. Pain was minimal and I jogged my first post-surgery mile on January 21, 2021.


Screw removal stitches

So we continue to refine my 3D prosthesis with modifications to the inner socket and I suspect outer frame in time. I seriously doubt I would have had access to this new technology at this point in time had I not had this screw issue. Shane Grubbs, my prosthetist, dogged pursuit of a solution brought us all together. The old adage "opportunity in adversity" is a recurring theme in my running saga, and it has taught me humility and patience far beyond any natural inclinations for those traits.

I have been asked by HP to join them at their booth at the American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists (AAOP) on March 3, 2022 to highlight this new technology and the benefits it offers. It will be an honor to meet the some of the people who have made great advances in prosthetics and helped me return to distance running.

I ran 17 miles two days ago, and although I did have to make some modifications to my fib head area for fit, I ran the distance with no blisters and little post-run muscle soreness. For years this had not been possible for me.

Now...I run to tomorrow.



2013 Boston Starting Line

Left to right: Randy Spellman, Mike Lenhart, Me, MD Shariff Abdullah, Kelly Luckett, BethAnn Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment