The socket doc is in
Here is the result of my own socket adjustment; this is the part that fits inside the carbon fiber shell. I removed some of the blue material over the tibial tuberosity (tt) that is meant to cushion the areas that receive more loading. Using my old Dremel Moto-Tool I took down some of the plastic as well.
The area of indentation between the tt and the top of the socket is what is causing the friction and pressure that is leading to swelling. My leg changes shape but the socket is static and does not, causing the difficult fit problem. There are some new socket designs that may help in the future, especially for more active prosthetic users. Here is a link to a PDF from Biodesigns.
I will try my adjusted socket out in an hour or two, but it will take some time to see if it helps since I already have swelling. Tomorrow's long run should be doable, but any skin breaches have to be avoided. Larry and I will look at changes on Monday, and hopefully this issue will be behind me in a few days.
No one said this would be easy. The running part that is.